Back to Interactive Map

NOCA MODERN Architect Detail


Body of Work:
Downtown Center Garage

George Applegarth was born in Oakland in 1875 to English-born parents. He took drawing classes from Bernard Maybeck, who encouraged him to matriculate at the Ecole des Beaux Arts, After 1912, Applegarth went out on his own, opening his office in the Spreckels/Call Building on Market Street.

He was known primarily as a society architect who designed houses for many of San Francisco’s wealth elite, including (along with partner Kenneth MacDonald) several residences in the exclusive Presidio Terrace development. Applegarth is perhaps best-known for his work for patron Alma de Bretteville Spreckels, including the Spreckels Mansion at 2080 Washington Street, and the Palace of the Legion of Honor, in Lincoln Park (1916). Throughout the 1910s and 1920s, Applegarth designed dozens of commercial buildings, apartment buildings, and residences throughout San Francisco. By the 1920s he became interested in parking structures, a new building type necessitated by ballooning automobile ownership. In addition to taking part in the early planning for the Union Square Garage (later completed by Miller & Pflueger), one of Appegarth’s last projects was his Downtown Center Garage, at Mason and O’Farrell streets.

Source: David Parry, “Applegarth, George Adrian,” on Encyclopedia of San Francisco: http://www.sfhistoryencyclopedia.com/articles/a/applegarthGeorge.html

CLOSE

Contact:

DOCOMOMO US/Northern California

P.O. Box 29226
San Francisco, CA 94129-0226

CLOSE

Mailing List:

Sign up to receive email updates from DOCOMOMO/NOCA.