Back to Interactive Map

NOCA MODERN Architect Detail


Body of Work:
Goldman House

Joseph Esherick received his architecture degree in 1937 from the University of Pennsylvania. In 1938 he moved to San Francisco where he eventually joined the firm of internationally renowned modernist Gardner Dailey. After serving in the Navy in World War II, Esherick established his own practice in San Francisco in 1946. By the 1960s, Esherick had made a name for himself in the modern design movement and was awarded significant projects such as the adaptive reuse renovation of the Del Monte Cannery near San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf (1968), demonstration houses for The Sea Ranch community on California’s North Coast (1965-67), the U.C. Santa Cruz Long Marine Laboratory (1970), and the Monterey Bay Aquarium Main Building (1984). In 1972, Esherick partnered with George Homsey, Peter Dodge, and Charles Davis to form Esherick, Homsey, Dodge, and Davis (EHDD). The firm still remains in practice today. Joseph Esherick was a faculty member at U.C. Berkeley from 1952-1985 and served as Dean of U.C. Berkeley’s School of Architecture from 1977-1981. Esherick was awarded the prestigious AIA Gold Medal for lifetime achievement in architecture in 1989.

CLOSE

Contact:

DOCOMOMO US/Northern California

P.O. Box 29226
San Francisco, CA 94129-0226

CLOSE

Mailing List:

Sign up to receive email updates from DOCOMOMO/NOCA.