Electrician’s Union


Date:
1959
Architects:
Baylis, Douglas
McCarthy, Francis J.
Neighborhood:
Castro/Duboce Triangle/Lower Haight, San Francisco
Building Type:
Institutional
Address:
55 Fillmore Street, San Francisco, California
Current Name:
Local #6 of the IBDW
Current Use:
Institutional
Current Condition:
Good
Status:
Unknown


This 1959-built union hall, tucked in among the Edwardian houses at the border of the Lower Haight and the Duboce Triangle, is an excellent example of Francis T. McCarthy’s institutional work. McCarthy was born in Australia, came to the United States in the 1920’s, and trained as an architect in the offices of William Wurster. He eventually specialized in institutional buildings, such as libraries and schools, and is best known for the Inyo County library. McCarthy was a founding member of Telesis, group of Bay Area planners and architects devoted to researching and developing a “Second Bay Area Regional Style.” Other members included William Wurster, Thomas Church, and Garret Eckbo. The building itself is shaped like an “H.” One of the long legs runs right along the Hermann Street sidewalk and contains a large meeting hall. The other long leg contains two stories of office space. The crossbar of the “H” is a two-story glass enclosure which serves as the building entrance and the only link between the office wing and the meeting hall wing.


CLOSE

Contact:

DOCOMOMO US/Northern California

P.O. Box 29226
San Francisco, CA 94129-0226

CLOSE

Mailing List:

Sign up to receive email updates from DOCOMOMO/NOCA.