Post-World War II, Frank Lloyd Wright experimented with his Usonian houses, using similar plans and concepts in California as well as the Midwest and East, but adding variations that reflected each site, client needs, and regional materials. Over time, these 60 homes emerged as part of a Usonian “theme” much like his Prairie houses, built to be affordable alternatives for the middle class. With a living space described as one of the most spectacular of Wright’s work of this period, the Buehler House was built of concrete and redwood on a 2.3 acre site that includes streams and was landscaped by Henry Matsutani, who designed the Japanese Tea Gardens in Golden Gate Park. As with many Wright homes, he designed much of the furniture found throughout the house and china for the dining room. Commissioned in 1948 by inventor Maynard Buehler and his wife, the house partially burnt down in 1994, and Walter Olds, who was the supervising architect on the original construction, was brought in by the Buehlers to restore the property. It was open to the public for the first time in July 2011, to raise funds for the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy.
Brown, Patricia Lee, “House Proud; by Frank Lloyd Wright, and Better than New”, New York Times, February 13, 2003.
Gebhard, David, Romanza: The California Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright
, San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1988.
Taylor, Tracey, “Berkeley Architect Built, Rebuilt Frank Lloyd Wright Home
” Berkeleyside, July 19, 2011.
Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy: http://www.savewright.org/index.php?page=33&id=113
Photos courtesy of Jeff Anderson provided by Todd & Gretchen Scheid from Alain Pinel Realtors.
The thinness of its flat roof planes and the obliquely angled living room.
Apart from its obvious architectural charms, the house has been meticulously maintained. The original owners lived in this home for over 50 years and oversaw its rebuilding after the 1994 fire – a true labor of love.