Stanford Medical Center
- Church, Thomas
- Palo Alto
- Building Type:
- 300 Pasteur Drive,, Palo Alto, California
- Current Name:
- Stanford Medical Center
- Current Use:
- Current Condition:
- At Risk
“A Milestone in Hospital Design,” Architectural Forum, June 1957, pp 116-119.
Vintage newsreel – “America Opens Embassy in New Delhi,” 1959. http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=67329
Image credits: Hilt Hansen and Heather David.
The complex has a dramatic entrance marked by a large reflecting pool with fountains and floating gardens. The clean lines of buildings and movement of the sun throughout the day cast intricate shadows. A beautiful landscaping plan includes an assortment of meticulously manicured topiaries and a large “yin-yang” garden. There are gorgeous details such as suspended metal light fixtures and concrete water fountains.
Similar in appearance to the United States Embassy in India (1954), architect Edward Durell Stone utilized perforated concrete as a key design element in the construction of Stanford Medical Center. Concrete screens wrap around the buildings, performing a protective grill that is both functional and decorative. In addition, garden wall screens are utilized for privacy and the unification of buildings.